Influencer Identification & Analysis Strategies to Spot Them & Engage With Them
Oprah Winfrey and Apple recently announced a collaboration for digital streaming content production. While this news had everybody excited, it got me thinking. I started wondering about how the market dynamics have changed. Here we have one of the best-known brands of the world partnering with an influential personality to disrupt the digital streaming world. This is a testament of how crucial associations and partnerships are to business growth these days. In fact, if we look at the success stories from any industry, we will find that they can be divided into three waves:
- First Wave: This was the era when enterprises were focused on expanding their product lines and bringing in newer tools and features for growth.
- Second Wave: This is when the enterprises grew multinational and expanded operations in other geographies to acquire wider consumer base and bigger market share.
- Third Wave: This is what we are witnessing today. We see companies entering into partnerships that give them leverage with certain consumer segments or create a particular image.
What brands are doing today is they are looking to engage with influencers. But who would you term as an influencer? This is where things start becoming tricky. Influencer Identification: A Crucial Part for Your Business
Not long ago, Tiger Woods, the ace golfer, was the face of multiple brands. Leveraging his popularity, these brands enjoyed good fortune. But these fortunes took a downward spiral when news around his personal life broke out. This proved that merely associating with a popular personality need not always be the right strategy. After all, these celebrities are humans and prone to mistakes and faults. In another case, a pharma company had to face a lot of backlash when the labels of a paracetamol administered only to the kids went wrong. In this instance, an arguably insignificant individual (a mother) from a third world country operated within a closed group to drive negativity against the brand. She took to social media, posting about the brand’s lack of mindfulness. The negative mentions by this individual soared to an extent that the brand took a major hit to its reputation in the healthcare segment. This incident was a real eye opener. It brought to light the fact that it is not always a celebrity that can impact a brand’s fortune. An unknown face from a far-flung location can also have great influence on the perception of the brand. This person does not have to be a social media celebrity with large number of followers to drive virality. These people are your micro influencers or nano influencers. This makes identifying an influencer or an influencer group extremely critical for any business
. This is where your influencer identification strategy will matter the most. We ideally provide this as a service aid to our clients. Influencer Identification and Engagement Strategy
While influencer identification is key, the whole exercise is futile if you are not engaging with these influencers. This is where our influencer identification and engagement strategy come in. As a first step, we help identify influencers that are relevant to your industry. This will include the obvious ones as well as niche groups that can impact your business. We use a ranking methodology to quantify the influencers and gauge their potential. The scoring is done based on:
- Influencer Type: Influencers are identified as a professional, industry expert, advocacy group, professional organization, etc.
- Presence on Social Media Channels: We use a scaling mechanism to understand the strength of social media presence of each influencer. For each channel, we conduct a detailed analysis of the number of posts they make, their followers, following base, tweets, retweets. We perform the following analysis for each of them:
- Facebook Footprint Analysis
- Twitter Footprint Analysis
- Instagram Footprint Analysis
- YouTube Footprint Analysis
- LinkedIn Footprint Analysis
- Blog details
Once you know your influencers, you need an outreach plan to start an engagement with them. This is where our networking building strategy helps. We help you put together a roadmap on how to use your PR network and initiate outreach. We also help you ensure that your engagement with these influencers is a continuous one that evolves into a long-lasting relationship. For this, we offer insights around what content you should use and when conversations should be initiated with these target influencers. Conclusion
Initiating an influencer identification and engagement program is going to take up more resources and time than you imagine. It is not something that can be set up in a jiffy. But once done, it can add a lot of value to your business. Here is an example of how a pharma company used our influencer identification service to create customized engagement plans to boost their brand awareness.